16 November 2015
Once again Wentworthville held another evening of cooking demonstrations about “Healthy Fats”. The evening focused on good fats versus bad fats.
Susan Lausevic and Domenic Polistina took the health lectures, and the cooking demonstrators were: Susan Lausevic, Nadine Polistina, Stela Gules and Rosemary Voncina. Vesna Kraus and Veronica Hake helped behind the scenes. Lizy Thiel manned the book store, and Sonya Kraus assisted with the Elim sales.
There was good audience participation with many questions asked. Those who attended enjoyed the food samples given out. There was also a handout prepared with the eight laws of health.
For your enjoyment, here are some of the recipes that were demonstrated:
1 cup almonds
4 cups water
Pinch of salt
- Soak almonds and dates (dates just covered with water) separately overnight or at least 6 hrs. Discard water from almonds, reserve water from dates.
- Pour the reserved water into blender with the soaked almonds and dates with the 4 cups of water and salt, blend until well done.
- Pour through a cheese cloth and squeeze the milk out leaving the almond cheese.
Almond Feta Cheese
1 measure of almond cheese as per above
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon psyllium husks
1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Mix together the almond cheese with olive oil, psyllium husks and salt.
- Flatten on a tray and slice into cubes and bake in oven for 20 minutes.
Note: This dish resembles Feta Cheese.
Roasted Vegetable & Green Salad
125g baby spinach
1 small sweet potato (or half a large one)
1 medium beetroot
½ cup walnuts
½ cup almond feta cheese (optional)
Mayonnaise Salad Dressing
½ cup cashews
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup grapeseed oil or rice bran oil
1 lemon, juiced
- Bake beetroot and sweet potato in a 200OC fan forced oven for approx. 30 minutes or until slightly tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Wash spinach and place in bowl with walnuts and almond cheese: add roasted vegetables.
- Blend cashews, water and salt. Slowly add oil and lastly adding the lemon juice.
- Pour the mayonnaise dressing over salad and toss gently.
Vegan Cheddar Cheese
1 ¼ cups water
3 tablespoons agar agar
¼ cup cashew nuts
¼ cup cooked carrots
1 ½ tablespoons yeast flakes
2 teaspoons onion powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon tahini
3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Have all the ingredients assembled ready to go.
- In a small pan soak agar in water for 1 minute, then bring to the boil for 1 minute, stirring until thickens and is clear.
- Pour into blender; add the cashews, carrots, savoury yeast and other seasonings. Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Add the lemon and blend again briefly.
- Pour into a container lined with glad wrap and chill until firm.