Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus, with 2 Chronicles 7:14: “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”
Across the Australasian Union today, millions of people are confined to their homes, restricted in travel, unable to associate freely, and uncertain as to what the future will bring. Many are facing financial difficulty and loss of income.
The ongoing pandemic situation has meant that many of our usual programs for our youth and our communities have been put on hold indefinitely. Numerous events have had to be cancelled, churches have been closed off and on for nearly 18 months, and our workers’ ability to travel has been severely curtailed, and in some cases they have been completely prevented from carrying out their normal pastoral visitation and Bible studies.
Yet the needs of the world have not changed. People need the gospel more than ever before. They need the message of health reform more than ever. They are in need today of God’s precious gift of peace and assurance, more than ever before.
Our heavenly Father sees all of this, and He has the whole world under His control. He is able to turn the course of events, and provide a way for His people to move forward, just like He did for Israel at the Red Sea. It is up to us to have faith, to pray, and to watch for the movements of Providence.
Like Daniel in Persia, we must turn our thoughts to our own failures and unbelief, and realise that we as a people are in need of the Holy Spirit. We need to come to Him in prayer, so that when God is ready to move, we are ready to move with Him. This is the very message brought by the prophet to the captives from Judah:
“11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. 12 Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. 13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. 14 And I will be found of you, saith the LORD: and I will turn away your captivity.” Jeremiah 29:11-14
For this reason, we would like to invite you to join in a special day of fasting and prayer, on Friday the 10th of September, 2021. Wherever we each are on that day, we can join together in petitioning our heavenly Father. These are some of the things we can pray about:
- Pray for the leaders of our countries and those in positions of power and influence, that they may act with justice and compassion (1 Timothy 2:1-4)
- Pray for those who are suffering with disease, including COVID-19, and for families who have lost loved ones to the virus
- Pray for those who are suffering with side effects of COVID-19 vaccines, and families of those who have passed away due to those effects
- Pray for the many people who are suffering in their mental health, that they may find peace of mind, and hope for a better tomorrow
- Pray for those who have lost jobs or income
- Pray for those who are under pressure to make uncomfortable decisions regarding medical treatment or vaccination
- Pray that the lockdowns and restrictions may come to an end
- Pray that God’s people may be free to go about their work of sharing the gospel, to be able to freely associate together, to share in the sacred rites of the Lord’s Supper and to encourage each other in face-to-face meeting and prayer
- Pray for our elderly, many of whom have not been able to be with their loved ones for extended periods of time
- Pray for forgiveness for our slowness to listen to the voice of God and the counsels He has given His people in spiritual and practical areas of life
- Pray that we may awake to our need of a full surrender to God, and the indwelling of His Spirit, so that we may fulfill the prayer of Jesus, “That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.” John 17:21
- Pray that we may receive the “latter rain” of the Holy Spirit’s power (Zechariah 10:1)
- Pray that we may find ways to help the people around us to find health, peace of mind and hope in Jesus as their Saviour
- Pray that Jesus may come soon, and each of us will find our place in His eternal kingdom
As we are promised, God will answer our prayers if we will seek for Him with all our heart.
“The path of sincerity and integrity is not a path free from obstruction, but in every difficulty we are to see a call to prayer.” (The Desire of Ages, p. 667).
Thank you in advance for joining together. And let us keep praying, not only on one day, but continually each day, with study and personal heart searching. We look forward to seeing what God will do, and the spiritual blessings that come to His people as we unite together in prayer.
Yours in Christ,
SDA Reform Movement,
Australasian Union Conference (Aus/NZ)